Gitta's Literary Escapades

Just another reader taking on (modern) classics, best-sellers, award-winners, non-fiction, and (guilty pleasure) chicklit armed with common sense, a brain and feminism.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling

I cannot for the life of me write a decent review of any of the Harry Potter books. I grew up with them and that makes them a large part of my late childhood and years as a teenager.  I reread many of them in anticipation of the publication of the new books. But I have only read The Deathly Hallows twice, in 2007 and, as part of my Harry Potter marathon, in 2014. I started this marathon in November after Litchick came up with the wonderful idea and read them back to back, leaving no time for writing reviews. Since the last one is still fresh in my memory, I'm going to start with The Deathly Hallows.

As the final part of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows concludes a series which lasted for 10 years, and which was a part of my life for -- I reckon -- 8 years and, including the movies, in total at least 10. But writing about books that are that big a part of me as a reader, as a person, which has had such a big influence on whom I am, is neigh impossible.

All I can and will comment on is that my favourite part of this book -- if not of the entire series -- is Chapter 33: The Prince's Tale. Anyone who has read The Deathly Hallows will know exactly what I mean. The surprise was no less for reading it for the second time, but I experienced such strong emotions of sadness and regret on Harry's behalf, but also love. I normally do not identify with the characters on an emotional level, but I did with The Deathly Hallows. If that is not enough of a recommendation, I do not know what is. It was one of the strongest emotional sensations I have ever had whilst reading a book.

That being said, The Deathly Hallows became less character driven and more cliché and predictable. It lost much of its quirkiness, which had been one of its main strenghts and characteristics. I recognise that my valuation of this book stems largely from nostalgia.As the highly anticipated end to the series,  I would gladly give it 5 stars, but rationally speaking it just is not worth that. On its own it is disjointed and riddled with minor characters. And perhaps even more disappointingly, the climax is predictable and swift. If this was not enough, the Epilogue, even with all my nostalgic feelings, comes as an smoothly delivered insult to the legacy. It is indulgent to the reader, telling him/her exactly what it wants to hear. It is something even a writer with no linguistic skill could produce and something I would not have expected from J. K. Just as she tied up any loose ends in the book, the epilogue was just too much. Perhaps it was her way of ensuring there will be no sequel (which I applaud her for). But it was just too sweet, like a sugar crash and like something you would find in chick-lit.

(show spoiler)

All in all, 4.5 for nostalgia, 3 rationally speaking, but 4 overall (and that is too high, but I cannot bear giving it any less).

Description & Where to Buy