Gitta's Literary Escapades

Just another reader taking on (modern) classics, best-sellers, award-winners, non-fiction, and (guilty pleasure) chicklit armed with common sense, a brain and feminism.

News: BookLikes on Wikipedia

BookLikes Logo

This post was originally published on 9 October 2013.

Earlier this month, I got lost again in the vortex that is the Internet, and somehow I discovered that there was no Wikipedia entry for BookLikes! There was nothing!

Until now (20 October 2013), when Themis-Athena and I created the product of our joint venture! Thanks again, T-A for offering to help and making it such a nice project to work on. I really enjoyed it.

BookLikes not Found

On 9 October, I started the BookLikes article, calling upon others to pick up on it, add to it, and/or change my mistakes. However, the article was deleted after an only hour because one user found that BookLikes was not notorious enough (meaning it lacked credible sources): "No explanation of significance (real person/animal/organization/web content/organized event)".

It's pointless to argue with moderators, but we weren't really given a chance to collectively add to the article. (Also, what about those tons of articles that do not even list one source, let alone a handful of credible ones).

So, Themis-Athena offered to work on it together. We decided to try again and show this Deb that BookLikes is a fast growing website. (Alexa's rating has gone up 2,000 points within a week, I had to update it whilst we were working on it.) And newspapers such as the LA Times, the Washington Post, the Huffington Post, and other "notorious" websites have published articles on this wonderful alternative to Goodreads.

Reason enough to have an article, Themis-Athena and I thought. Together we wrote and edited for a few days, and now... it's finished! Go have a look! And let's hope it does not get deleted again... Just in case: here's a screen capture (click on it to see it in full screen).

BookLikes on Wikipedia