Gitta's Literary Escapades

Just another reader taking on (modern) classics, best-sellers, award-winners, non-fiction, and (guilty pleasure) chicklit armed with common sense, a brain and feminism.

The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Got this as a free ebook from the University of Adelaide for my Kindle and read it alongside the audiobook on Librivox.

Read this during my holiday in the US, took me nearly a month since the audiobook takes about 50, glorious, hours! This is the densest book I've read in a long time, but it's so good. Once you get used to Dumas's slow pace, language and his many, many characters and submerge yourself into Dantès's world, his character, you'll really enjoy it.

I read this because this is a classic and I wanted to see if it would live up to its name, and for me personally, it did. However, I will not idolise it simply because it's a classic and everyone loves it. There were some things that, because of my lack of French, 19th century writing, I cannot appreciate. This was my first Dumas and I hope that if I come back to it in 10 or 20 years or so, I will like it even more.

Leaves of Grass