Gitta's Literary Escapades

Just another reader taking on (modern) classics, best-sellers, award-winners, non-fiction, and (guilty pleasure) chicklit armed with common sense, a brain and feminism.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll, John Tenniel, Hugh Haughton

Being born in a non-Anglophone country, the only interaction I have had with Lewis Carroll’s work had been the Disney and Tim Burton adaptations. This is the case with many British, American, Canadian, etc. children's literature with the exception of Beatrix Potter's little books. Therefore, I have begun reading these classics and looking for something light, funny, and short, I began reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Alice meets the Caterpillar (John Tenniel)

Though a short work, this 12 chapter children's book is filled with strange dialogues and logical illogicality and is thus nice for children and adults alike. Children will enjoy the strange characters, adults will appreciate the odd verses.

But Alice in Wonderland, like every good example of children's writing, should not be regarded as merely a silly thing. With it's use of linguistics and mathematical theory it exceeds the boundaries of children's literature and is just as intriguing to for teenagers, tweeners, and other grown-ups.

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.”

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

What is not to like about little statements like these? And why would they be too immature for anyone over the age of twelve? The difficulty when writing and exploring well-written children's literature is that its characters do not rely upon stereotypes, because children do not see, use, or rely upon them. And it cannot use events such as death, violence, or sex to make it interesting (something bad adult literature often relies on to give depth and meaning to their work).

Hatter engaging in rhetoric

“Mad Hatter: “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”
“Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “What’s the answer?”
“I haven't the slightest idea,” said the Hatter”

Description & Where to Buy

This work is in the public domain and can be downloaded for free to read online or on your e-reader or Kindle at The University of Adelaide (illustrated by John Tenniel, images used in this review) or Project Gutenberg (illustrated by Arthur Rackham). Multiple free audiobooks are available via LibriVox.

First published:

1865

Original title:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Author:

Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)

Edition: