Gitta's Literary Escapades

Just another reader taking on (modern) classics, best-sellers, award-winners, non-fiction, and (guilty pleasure) chicklit armed with common sense, a brain and feminism.

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

First time I read this, I was 15 (2006) and I really liked it. Especially since I read it alongside the audio book read by Rob Inglis (available on YouTube). The songs really come to live and the voices he does are wonderful.

One page in and I'm in love again. It is a book fundamentally different from The Lord of the Rings even though it is considered as the prequel. Whereas The Hobbit follows the conventions of the medieval heroic epic, The Lord of the Rings is a world on its own. This is why some people, unfamiliar with the rich tradition Professor Tolkien was drawing on to create his own world, consider The Hobbit a lesser work. I, however, would say comparing these two works is not beneficial to either. They are too distinct. One written for children, more in keeping with the Medieval epic, minus the bloodshed, the other so rich that children would not get its complexity.

But enough of The Lord of the Rings, this work is wonderfully written. J.R.R. Tolkien pays so much attention to detail, the characters leap of the page. The first chapter, though considered by some to be tedious, is, in my eyes, a wonderful start to an even more wonderful adventure and it contains details you need to understand Bilbo's background. The many adventures they experience are not elaborated on in great detail -- its intended audience was children -- however, this does not make it a boring read for anyone over the age of 12. It is definitely more accessible than Tolkien's other Middle-Earth tales and I intend to read it before each Peter Jackson adaptation comes out. December 2012: Check!

General information