Gitta's Literary Escapades

Just another reader taking on (modern) classics, best-sellers, award-winners, non-fiction, and (guilty pleasure) chicklit armed with common sense, a brain and feminism.

The Tunnyng of Elynour Rummyng by John Skelton

Skelton, The Complete English Poems of - John Skelton, John Scattergood

I read The Tunnyng of Elynour Rummyng for a class at uni and it was one of the most misogynistic things I have read. Fortunately for himself and those who now read his works, Skelton was a good poet. The Skeltonic metre is beautiful and strongly contrasts the poem's content.

Certainly, if I had not learned about the tradition dating back to Antiquity, this would not have made any sense. If you truly want to understand this particular poem, do some reading on the Sieve of Tuccia and on women as leaky vessels and it'll become a lot clearer.

The Vestal Virgin Tuccia

I've given it two stars because the writing is good. The ideas explored, though they display a thorough dislike of women, goes above and beyond any themes of the legend of Tuccia. So, I admire his originality in finding new, additional ways and methods to disgustingly describe women's leakage of bodily fluids. He takes misogyny to the next level. It came to no surprise then that Skelton was the tutor of Henry VIII, the notorious English king with eight wives. This is one of those works I like to dislike.

Leaves of Grass